Thursday, June 28, 2012

Don't Quit


So one of today's devotionals that I got via email was just too perfect to NOT share. So here goes:

"I know some of you are ready to give up and quit. Some mountain is standing between you and the dream you thought was sure to become a reality. You think God has lost track of where you are and what you are going through. He hasn’t, girlfriend.

I know you don’t understand why a loving God would allow so much pain to saturate this broken world and perpetuate such loss and hurt. I don’t either. But God’s ways are so much higher than my ways, and His thoughts are for my eternal good – not my temporary comfort. I am banking on eternity. I am counting on the character of God and His heart of unconditional, unmerited and undeserved love. God’s forgiveness gives me the strength to get out of bed each morning, and His peace is my comfort in the dark, lonely night. Like you, I sometimes ask God why He has allowed a circumstance to exist. I have questioned His favor and allowed fear and worry to make me doubt His plan. And I have to tell you that I can now look back and see so many of the question marks yanked into exclamation points in my life. I am so thankful that He said “no” to so many of the prayers I desperately wanted Him to answer with “yes.” He is God. He is able and He is more than enough.

No matter where you are today, know He is with you and that His heart is for you. Don’t quit. He is not angry with you. You are His daughter, the apple of His eye and His cherished child. Don’t give up. Right now, surrender all of your pain to Him. Shed your tears, knowing He will collect them all and one day pour them back into your life as a refreshing rain of restoration and healing. Keep going. Ask your questions, knowing Heaven is not in a panic and that your God really is who He says He is and will do what He has promised to do. He simply waits for you to trust Him."

Can I get an AMEN?!!!! Not sure about you, but that is exactly what I needed to hear today!!!!!! Here is a scripture for affirmation:

“So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up.” -Galatians 6:9

Ever feel like God just doesn't remember where you live anymore? Like...it's almost as if He has literally forgotten your home address? What you drive? What you look like? LOL As if He doesn't even know you? Well...those are all LIES! Lies..straight from the devil. Because we know that God's word tells us He is with us ALWAYS. However, we also know that the devil is relentless. The Bible tells us that he only wants to kill, steal, & destroy. The devil may be strong, BUT GOD.....ohhhh BUT GOD....He is stronger!!!!! Keep fighting the fight. Hang in there. If it's not happy, it's not the end. God is NOT finished yet!!!!! SO DON'T QUIT!!!

I have to remind myself of that some days...especially on days like today. Some of you may know this, and others may not...but I am mentor for a program called Crossroads Community Partnership for Youth. Basically, the purpose of the program is to prevent or reduce youth involvement with the juvenile justice system by fostering positive relationships between youth and volunteer mentors. Too many times, youth offenders have limited contact with positive adult role models with whom they can form/sustain meaningful relationships...which is why it is important to have a positive role model/mentor! So that's where I step into the mix!

Let me tell you, it has been a challenging journey. There are some days where I don't even feel like going over to the juvenile facility because I don't always see immediate progress. Some days I feel like I am talking to a brick wall and getting no where fast.

When I walk into the place, I often see several young teenage girls with tattoos on their necks...some of them (as young as 13!) walking around all hard, with bad attitudes. But when you get past that tough outer shell & take time to get to know them, get to know their story, where they came from, their family background, etc....you find out they aren't really as hardcore as they think they are or act like. I will not go into specifics about the girl I mentor or her family background, but let me just say..it's a bad one. She has been through some horrible things that little girls should not have to go through. In the same token, though, she has also made some bad decisions that have gotten her where she is at today. Tonight was an exhausting night trying to get through to her, but I really feel like today was the most progress I have ever made. I asked God to empower me to have the right words to say, and I believe that He did. For those of you who know me, you know that I keep it real with folks. So believe me when I tell you, that I definitely tell her like it is. I don't sugar coat it. I tell the REAL DEAL.

I have a special place in my heart for youth, and I sincerely feel like God is going to use me somehow, someway in that area. I don't know how yet, but I just feel that tugging at my heart. Anyway, I just want to encourage whoever is reading this....to get involved in your community...through whatever avenues that you see fit. Just think about how you spend your time now. How much time do you waste on Facebook or Twitter? Watching TV? Reading senseless books? Watching ridiculous movies? Working out? Going out? God did not create a spirit of average-ness in you...so you could just sit at home on the couch day in and day out when you get off of work and do nothing. There are so many volunteer opportunities out there. Get involved. Make a difference. Touch the life of another person. Let God use your talents and abilities. And then be amazed.

Ready...set....GO!

0 comments: